Insight About Bad Breath

Insight About Bad Breath

The Problem

Many people have a chronic problem that is sometimes so severe, they are embarrassed by it. We are talking about bad breath. These people have tried everything they know to correct the problem, but nothing has worked. Most of the rest of us have the same problem, but only occasionally. Regrettably, bad breath is socially unacceptable in our hygiene-conscious culture.

Even after following professional advice, many of us still have episodes of “dragon breath.” For some, the problem creates cover-up or avoidance behavior. Unfortunately, brushing, flossing and rinsing with perfumed, alcohol-based mouth rinses provide only temporary relief. More than a social problem, bad breath is a dental/medical problem. It has been estimated that 90% of the population has periodic bad breath or morning breath, and 40% suffer from chronic halitosis.

The Cause

Studies have shown that 80% of breath problems originate in the mouth with the remaining 20% resulting from other causes. Dead cells and bacteria in the mouth, occurring as a result of cell turnover, can putrefy forming volatile sulfur gases. These gases are responsible for the odor in stale and bad breath. The spaces between and around teeth and gums trap this debris and gas. The tongue’s surface which resembles the plush pile of carpet is another source of sulfur gas production.

Important First Step

It is imperative that a complete diagnosis be performed to know exactly what is present in the mouth. A dental examination along with an analysis of the gases in the breath itself can be performed. While most oral breath problems can be helped, some medical problems require the attention of medical specialist. For breath problems arising in the oral cavity, however, neutralizing and eliminating the odor can be accomplished 95% of the time.


Treatment of breath problems involves a two phase, simultaneous approach. It is equally as important to address any dental/medical needs as it is the breath problem itself. The breath treatment plan will be tailored to your specific needs and will be explained in detail.

Additionally, you will be instructed in the use of home care product that will neutralize the sulfur gases. Nutritional needs will be discussed as necessary. Specialized devices for use in cleaning the mouth and tongue may be recommended. Throughout the course of treatment, breath gases will continue to be monitored with an instrument that measures sulfur gases.


Wouldn’t it be wonderful not to have to worry about bad breath anymore? Think about times in the past when problems with your breath have affected your social or business life. Finally, there is a solution for virtually everyone.