How often do you find yourself sitting in front of the bathroom mirror, scrutinizing your face and grumbling, “Dang! Not another wrinkle!” Just like mom said, it’s what’s inside that counts. We get that. But let’s be honest: we all want to look younger … to get carded for that glass of wine and get mistaken as the younger sibling. There are habits we already know to avoid when it comes to aging: hitting the tanning booth, eating a brick of processed cheese for dinner, and skipping shut-eye in order to binge-watch the latest Netflix series. But what about the things that are supposedly good for us? Is it possible that some of these “healthy” habits are secretly aging us? Let’s find out …
1. Tick, tock, watch the clock.
“Only eat when you’re hungry.” How many times have you heard this? Well, here’s what happens when you skip snacks or meals and only eat until you’re ready to gnaw your own arm off: your brain releases a boatload of ghrelin (aka “the hunger hormone”), causing you to overeat, often on not-good-for-you foods. This produces more free radicals in your body, the culprit behind aging. What you can do: make sure to always have something in your belly during the day. If you’re guilty of hitting up the snack machine or diving into your coworker’s candy dish, pre-plan your snacks the day before. Choose fiber-filled foods like veggies, fruits and nuts. They’re not only healthy, but also slower to digest.
2. Making fat your enemy.
Fat is not the enemy. Let’s go ahead and repeat that. FAT IS NOT THE ENEMY. Yet, we’ve been led to believe this for years from the diet industry and “badvertizers” trying to sell us fat-free foods. While fat from French fries or king size candy bars won’t help us fight the effects of Father Time, the right kinds of fat will! Healthy fats are essential for glowing, firm and youthful skin … and overall good health.
The skinny on all things fat:Good fats: Unsaturated fats are the “good fats,” and include monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. You can find these good fats in olive oil, nuts, seeds and fish. Bad Fats: Trans fats are the “bad boys” of fat, known to clog arteries, raise bad (LDL) cholesterol, and bring on disease and aging. You’ll find trans fats listed as partially hydrogenated oil in processed foods, nondairy creamers and fried foods. “So-So” Fats: These are your saturated fats, found in red meat, butter and cheese. While not as bad as trans fats, they should be enjoyed in moderation.
3. Living in your spandex.
Don’t get us wrong – exercise is good. But if you’re sweatin’ to the oldies 24-7 and overdoing your cardio activity while ignoring your strength training, your youthfulness will pay the price. This will break down your muscles and increase the production of free radicals, adding years to your body. Take a day off in between intense workouts (2 days for super high intensity) and don’t forget to strength train in addition to cardio.
The Secret of The Youngest Looking People in the World ...No, it’s not an obscure face cream made from snail slime or snake venom that only 1% of the population can afford. People who are powered by Vitality are easy to spot. They’re the ones who not only look 10 years younger … they FEEL it too! They have a spring in their step, loads of natural energy, a happy mood, and they never seem to get sick. It’s not hype – it’s science. Vitality has a blend of 30 elite vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that, unlike other supplements, work at the cellular level, so your body can actually absorb and benefit from this incredible nutrition. Antioxidants are the key to looking and feeling younger … from the inside out! Antioxidants defend against free radicals, the molecules that cause damage to cells and age us prematurely. A body powered by antioxidants has cells that live longer, are able to fight disease, and the icing on the cake … slow down the aging process. Vitality defends against free radicals like a pack of ninjas. One serving of this potent powder rocks a 6,300 ORAC rating. (The ORAC scale rates the ability of an antioxidant to absorb free radicals, and researchers recommend at least 3,000-5,000 units per day.) Take a closer look at 5 powerhouse antioxidants inside Vitality …
- N- acetyl cysteine (NAC): Do you often feel floored by the common cold? NAC, a potent antioxidant and cell detoxifier, is the immune system’s BFF. NAC kicks glutathione production into gear, the top antioxidant manufactured by the body.
- Wild blueberry extract: Blueberries are one of the most powerful antioxidants on the planet. They’re also vital for bone development. So now you can look younger AND have healthier bones as you leap tall buildings … or at least chase the kiddos around.
- Resveratrol: This is the "heart healthy" antioxidant found in red wine and black grapes. Harvard studies show resveratrol to be a regulator of longevity genes. One serving of Vitality has as much resveratrol as 1 bottle of wine or 20 cups of grapes!
- Saberry®: This phytonutrient is a super-scavenger for harmful free radicals, and is considered the first line of defense against the toxins that accelerate aging.
- Açai: Supple skin starts with supple cells. This popular purple fruit has amazing antioxidant powers that make your cell membranes suppler, which reduces inflammation and the signs of aging.