How to Stop Bad Breath Caused By Post Nasal Drip
Postnasal drip is a common condition that occurs when excess mucus builds up in the throat and nose.
The surplus of mucus dwells in the back of your mouth alongside stubborn bacteria. Together, the two can perpetuate a pesky case of bad breath.
Depending on the root of the condition, that thick mucus can last for weeks or even months.
Fortunately, there are plenty of things you can do to rid yourself of this smelly side effect.
You may not need to look any further than your kitchen cabinet to get satisfying relief from this frustrating condition.
Think you have postnasal drip bad breath?
The first step is to identify whether or not your bad breath is caused by postnasal drip. While the cause often varies, you’ll likely experience an excessive need to cough or spit in addition to your bad breath and a continuous pool of mucus.
Depending on the determining factor, postnasal drip can last from one week to a couple of months.
What causes postnasal drip?
Postnasal drip can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Sinus Infections
- Deviated Septum
- Air Conditions
- Environmental Irritants such as smoke, perfume, or cleaning products
If you are experiencing thicker than usual, frequent bouts of mucus, consult your doctor or an ear, nose, and throat specialist.
There are several diagnostic tests professionals can run to help identify the cause of your postnasal drip.
Treatment for postnasal drip varies greatly depending on the underlying cause.
According to an article in the Huffington Post, postnasal drip creates an environment that fosters the growth of halitosis-causing bacteria.
How long does postnasal drip last?
The longevity of your postnasal drip often depends on its underlying cause. A postnasal drip caused by the common cold or a mild sinus infection can last a few days to a week when treated properly.
Alternatively, a postnasal drip caused by a change in hormones due to pregnancy may last the entire prenatal period.
With all that mucus trapped inside your nose and throat, you can often end up breathing excessively from your mouth, giving your friends and family an unwelcome introduction to your bad breath.
When seeking treatment, you don’t want to suscept yourself to harmful chemicals. Instead, seek out effective, all-natural remedies.
How to prevent postnasal drip?
While postnasal drip is sometimes unavoidable, the following preventive tips can help you to prevent postnasal drip in the future.
- Drink water
- Purify air
- Rinse mouth and nasal cavity
- Steam treatments
- Essential Oils such as peppermint, tea tree, or eucalyptus
- Avoid spicy foods
- Try natural decongestants such as peppermint tea, ginger, lemon, or apple cider vinegar
If you are looking for a mouthwash strong enough to ward off that postnasal drip halitosis, look no further than Oxyfresh.
Postnasal drip remedies you can try at home
Fortunately, there are many inexpensive at-home postnasal drip remedies.
One of the most effective ways of clearing your throat of thick mucus is a steam. Try taking a hot a shower or heating up a small bowl of water and inhale its vapors to loosen stubborn mucus.
Drink plenty of fluids, especially water or hot tea.
Neti pots, which stem from Ayurvedic medicine, are an all-natural, safe way to promote nasal irrigation.
Attempt to eliminate any environmental causes to your condition. This may mean investing in a quality air filter or humidifier.
If your postnasal drip stems from allergies, you may want to consider consuming more an all-natural antihistamine, such as pomegranate, mangosteen, or peaches. Holistic coach, Allison Vickery, offers a complete list here.
Chronic Postnasal Drip
For those suffering from chronic postnasal drip, dealing with persistent, stubborn halitosis can be embarrassing! Oxyfresh mouthwashes utilize Oxygene, xylitol, essential oils, and zinc to create an unbeatable bad breath fighting formula!
After trying Oxyfresh’s patented mouthwashes, you’ll never be able to go back to conventional, store-bought mouthwashes!
Five amazing mouthwashes from Oxyfresh:
- Fresh Breath Lemon Mint Mouthwash – Naturally flavored with a unique blend of essential oils for a taste that’s truly irresistible!
- Cavity Protection Fluoride Mouthwash – Swish-friendly formula means there’s no sting or burn, natural peppermint oil provides a soothing and cooling effect!
- Fresh Breath Fresh Mint Mouthwash – Sweetened with xylitol, refreshing, naturally flavored with mild, minty peppermint oil to soothe and cool sensitive gums and teeth.
- Pro Formula Cosmetic Fresh Mint Mouthwash – Zinc, proven safe and effective in dental care products, along with our exclusive and patented odor-fighting ingredient, Oxygene®, deliver a knockout combo for bad breath!
- Gentle Formula Fresh Breath Mouthwash – Don’t like the taste of mint or sweeteners? That’s OK. You can still get 6 hours of fresh breath protection with our Unflavored Mouthwash. No flavors or sweeteners of any kind!
This impressive line-up of mouthwashes come in a variety of flavor and flavor-free options. Some even incorporate the enamel-strengthening power of fluoride! All offer:
- Bad breath neutralizer
- Patented Oxygene
- Made in the U.S.A.