Returning Customer? FREE SHIPPING ON RETAIL ORDERS OVER $49! (US Only)
Ouch! Nothing says pain quite like sore gums. Whether it’s from a recent dental procedure, rogue tortilla chip, cantankerous canker sore, or nasty pizza burn, one thing is certain: when your gums are sore or swollen, you want soothing relief … fast!
What happens if you continue to just grin and bear it? Your gums will start to affect your smile. Often people with sore gums have red, purple, or puffy-looking gums. The gums may also start to recede, making you look “long in the tooth.”
Worse, not treating your sore, inflamed gums can actually weaken the bones that hold the roots of your teeth in place. What does this lead to? That’s right – tooth loss! Definitely not the smile you were envisioning.
Sometimes the cause of swollen, sore gums is obvious, like if you just underwent dental surgery or got fitted for braces, a retainer, or dentures.
Lesser-known causes of swollen and sore gums include pregnancy, low vitamin C levels, autoimmune disorders and certain medications.
The most common reason for sore gums? Gum disease (gingivitis), which is usually caused by poor oral hygiene. Gum disease can cause the gums to swell, recede, bleed, and even become sensitive to hot and cold.
Unfortunately, when it comes to our oral health, our gums often take a back seat to our teeth.
To keep your gums in good shape, it’s important to brush and floss twice daily, and swish with an alcohol-free mouthwash to keep bacteria in check. (We love this mouthwash. It beat store brands in a 12-month study on the gum health of periodontitis patients.)
1. Swish with Salt Water. A warm salt water solution (1/2 teaspoon in 1 cup of warm water) can do wonders for sore and swollen gums. For relief after oral surgery, rinse your mouth every 2-3 hours for the first few days. Then cut back to 3-4 times a day after that.
2. Be Gentle with Your Technique. Are you guilty of being a vigorous tooth brusher? While you may think all that extra “oomph” is getting your mouth cleaner, it actually damages the ultra-delicate gum tissue.
Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush and use gentle, circular motions to massage the teeth and gums. A harsh back-and-forth method of brushing can irritate the gums and increase your odds of having bleeding or receding gums.
3. Add Aloe. This powerful plant has both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties to provide soothing, healing relief to sore gums. In addition, aloe helps prevent plaque buildup. This is good news if your sore gums are caused from poor oral hygiene.
If you have an aloe plant, cut open a leaf and scoop out the gel with a clean finger. Massage on your gums for 1-2 minutes, and then rinse with warm water.
4. Avoid Acidic Foods. Food and drink high in acids (such as citrus fruit and cola) can cause irritation and soreness to the gums … and really sting those canker sores! To see if acidic foods are a contributing factor to your sore gums, cut them from your diet for a few days and see how your gums are feeling. If you can’t resist those pineapple slices, swish with water afterward.
5. Make a Turmeric Paste. Raid your spice cupboard and grab that long forgotten bottle of turmeric. This spice has been used for thousands of years as an anti-inflammatory agent.
To make your paste, mix ¼ teaspoon with a small amount of water. Apply to the gums and leave on for 5 minutes. Then give your gums a little massage and rinse. Repeat daily for 1 to 2 weeks.
6. De-Stress. Unaware of how stressed you really are? Your body can tell you. Often stress shows up in the mouth, causing mouth sores and inflamed gums.
Stress impacts the immune system, making it more difficult to fight infection. And often when we’re stressed, we eat more sugary foods, turn to tobacco or alcohol to cope, or flat-out ignore our oral hygiene – all things that impact the health of our gums. Check out 10 ways to de-stress.
7. Use Dental Gel. Using a dental gel for sore gums is the fastest and easiest way to get the relief you need. You’ll want a quality gel that’s alcohol-free so that you won’t get dry mouth and dye-free to protect the color of your teeth.
Oxyfresh has two dentist-recommended gels that are perfect for whatever is causing your sore and swollen gums. They’re alcohol-free, dye-free and made with ingredients you can feel good about. Just apply, smile, and repeat as needed.
Pro Relief Dental Gel: Perfect for post-surgery, mouth sores, burns and more, our Pro Relief Dental Gel will give you soothing gum relief quickly. It contains a healing combination of Aloe vera, zinc, and folic acid to soothe, condition, and aid in tissue growth and nutrient absorption of the gums. More information...
Super Relief Fluoride Dental Gel: If you’re avoiding your favorite food and drinks due to teeth sensitivity, our Super Relief Dental Gel with fluoride is just what the dentist ordered. This gel will reduce tooth sensitivity, strengthen the enamel, protect your gums, and give your smile cavity-fighting protection. More information...
Did you know? Bad breath is common when the mouth is recovering from dental procedures or other tooth and gum trauma. And, if your sore gums are caused by gingivitis, chances are your breath is bad.
To get rid of bad breath for 6 hours at a time, Oxyfresh Dental Gels contain Oxygene®. This is our exclusive, non-toxic odor-neutralizing ingredient that literally dissolves odor-causing compounds. You won’t find Oxygene® in any other dental gel.
Soothing sore gum relief + 6 hours of fresh breath = LOVE.
Oxyfresh has complete confidence in the excellence of its products.
That’s why we offer a 100% money-back guarantee (minus the cost of shipping) within 30 days of purchase if you’re not happy.
Track Your Order
Meet Our Team
Returns Policy & Feedback
Professional & Retail Partners
Why Choose Oxyfresh?
Coupons & Specials
Review Us on Google
Bad Breath Products
Post Oral Surgery Care Products
Tongue Scrapers & Cleaners
Dog Oral Care Products
Dog Ear Cleaners
Cat Oral Care Products
Cat Ear Cleaners
Pet Oral Care Products
Pet Bad Breath Oral Hygiene Product
Pet Ear Cleaners
Pet Crate & Cage Cleaner
VIBE Meal Replacement
Motion Joint Supplement
LS Vitamin Supplement
Unscented Face & Body Wash
Heavenly Face & Body Wash
Face & Body Wash Bundle