Can you train yourself to turn your frown upside down? Research supports that 40% of your happiness is up to you! While genetics play a large role in your happy factor, there are simple, and surprising, ways you can boost your happiness.
Here are 7 ways to be happier … find what you can start working on today to smile big time!
1. Don’t overcomplicate it. Many people approach “finding their happy” as a quest or something that will require a lot of time to achieve. It doesn’t have to be that hard. Start with the basics. Eat whole foods most of the time to nurture your body.
Focus on quality sleep, as one third of us do not get adequate sleep! Need a reminder on why sleep matters? Check out this past blog here.
2. Do let the sun go down on anger. No, we aren’t saying go to bed ANGRY. However, if you are fuming over something that is petty or fleeting, let it go! Focusing on minor annoyances means you are wasting your time focusing on the negative … and less time on the positive.
3. Fake it till you feel it. Feelings follow actions. To change things up, try being cheery even if you feel down. Try doing something thoughtful for someone when you are frustrated with them. This will snowball positivity and give you reason to smile.
4. Buy some happiness. Heck yeah, money can buy happiness! It just depends what you are splurging on. A 75-year-long ongoing Harvard study shows that good relationships keep us happier and healthier. If you spend money on a trip to see family, promote better personal health, get marital counseling, or support an important cause … it will be money well spent! Check out the TED Talks video that reveals the findings of the 75-year-long study by clicking here.
5. Don’t insist on the best. Sometimes “good enough” truly is good enough. There are two types of decision makers. Satisficers make decisions once their criteria are met, while maximizers want to make the best possible decisions. If a satisficer is shopping for a bike, they will find what meets their needs and buy the bike. A maximizer may find a bike that meets all of their criteria, but will then research other options, tirelessly, until they make a decision. If you are a maximizer, try to be ok with good enough when good enough will do.
6. Exercise to boost your energy. Exercise is one of the most reliable ways to boost your energy. With just 21 minutes of exercise, you can reduce stress, anxiety, and worry … leaving yourself open to enjoy peace, joy and happiness! Lacking motivation to move? Don’t worry; we have you covered. Check out this blog to learn how you can be motivated in 5 easy steps.
7. Stop nagging. No one wants to be around a nag, and frankly, it doesn’t work! The more you nag, the more likely people are to tune you out, and that will leave you frustrated (and certainly not happy)! Instead, try one of these:
- Wordless hints – need the house vacuumed? Leave out the vacuum.
- Use just one word – need eggs? Say “eggs” and not the million things you need the eggs for.
- Do the task yourself – let’s be honest, sometimes it’s just easier that way!
Remember, you can control up to 40% of your happiness, no matter your genetics! Happiness does matter, and if you make the conscious steps to make your life happier, it really does work!
Want to read the complete article that inspired simple steps to happy? Check it out here: